Phase III – Career & Educational Improvements
The Master Plan for the renovation and replacement of aging facilities at a college like Santa Monica College is always implemented in phases and voters are asked to approve the financing in phases as well. Measure AA is intended to finance the implementation of the third and final phase of the SMC Master Plan approved in 1998, a practice that is similar at other institutions.
Measure AA is focused on renovating or replacing worn and obsolete facilities that no longer meet current fire, mechanical, electrical, energy and ADA codes and seismic safety standards, or are incapable of being effectively adapted to newer technologies. Measure AA will make environmental improvements to campus systems resulting in a more sustainable facility. In addition, Measure AA will provide funds to modernize energy systems to reduce energy use and water consumption, improve environmental performance in all projects.
Projects included in Measure AA are:
- A replacement math and new science wing on the main campus.
- A new career opportunity and career advancement instructional and job-training building on SMC’s satellite bundy campus.
- Relocation of broadcast, TV, video, electronic print, and station KCRW to SMC’s academy campus to improve training for new media and technology driven career fields.
- Replacement of Corsair Stadium to meet seismic safety standards.
- New bus pull-out and shelter on Pico assists in reducing traffic congestion.
- Community classroom joint-use projects.